Monday, June 24, 2013

EXP3: Skecthup Bridge Model

The design of the bridge and the spaces are derived from this plan, and I aimed to include the interwoven shape and design of the rooms in the plan below into my Sketchup design. 
The texture I used on the bridge floor is the texture "scalar", as it is suitable to represent the differently sized spaces and areas that are located along the bridge. The spaces are all of different sizes, and they vary depending on what the space is used for and where it is located on the bridge. Movement for  the visitor on the bridge also varies as, even there is a main walkway along the bridge, the spaces that are all along them an vary from being a small hallway to a large opened space. The areas and the spaces vary and do not hold a consistency, adding further to the suitability of the material "scalar" applied on the bridge.


The design of the bridge is based on the concept of structure and nature. First, I made a bride that had different spaces and areas which showed the visitor the structure and internal design of the bridge, with a lot of supporting metal beams and transparent materials, such as glass to highlight and show more clearly an outward structure to the space. 
The bridge, rather than span the entire valley, cantilevers against a cliff face, and flows downwards towards ground level. Each floor of the bridge is on a different height, and I derived the idea of cantilevering it along the bridge from an existing structure found on my valley of inspiration, the Huangshan Valley in Anhui, China.
Here, the path flows along and cantilevers against the rock face, and uses the cliff itself to support the path. I used the idea of the flowing cantilever on my bridge design to reflect the idea of environmental integration, which is in my Mashup theory. I also catered for the structural aspect of my theory by adding supporting struts that are attached to the top and the bottom of the bridge at various points. The structural prominence on the design as well as the use of the cliff face itself as a support for the bridge links both concepts together, and I feel that it connects with my architectural theory of structure and natural integration.

The rooms and spaces are below:





 

No comments:

Post a Comment